Eggplants offer an impressive array of many vitamins and minerals, such as fiber, folate, potassium and manganese, as well as vitamins C, B6, K, phosphorus, thiamin, copper, niacin, magnesium and pantothenic acid (B5).
Our goal is to assist you with preparing a variety of healthy, delicious meals. Below is a recipe from Chef K, owner of Trügourmand, to help you with living a healthful life. Here's to a #Healthy&Lean2016. Enjoy!
1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add half of diced eggplant to pan, arranged cut side down. Allow to rest in pan for 20-30 seconds before stirring (this allows the eggplant to brown slightly).
2. Cook until eggplant is golden brown and somewhat softened, about 3 minutes. Add cooked eggplant to a large heat proof bowl and set aside.
3. Repeat Step 1 with remaining eggplant.
4. Add 2 tsp oil, onion, bell pepper and garlic to pan and sauté until onion is translucent and slightly caramelized, approx 3 minutes. Add to heat proof bowl with the eggplant.
5. Fold in sundried tomatoes, goat cheese and herbs. Mix well to incorporate all ingredients. Season to taste wfith salt and pepper.
Serve on toasted bread as bruschetta or crostini.
Yield: Serves 4-6 (approx 24 bruschetta)
Suggestion: Add warm eggplant mixture to favorite pasta for a hearty side dish or light meal.